The third episode of our new podcast series Live from the Space Shed is now live! Please subscribe at Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Play or wherever you get your podcasts, rate (FIVE STARS, obvs) and spread the word!
Another conversation from the Faraway Forest at Latitude Festival – this time with particle physicist Professor Jon Butterworth. Jon works on the Large Hadron Collider’s ATLAS experiment at CERN. Not sure what any of those things are? No problem! Jon describes them and his work brilliantly.
In this episode Jon (Butterworth) and UNSA’s Director of Human Spaceflight (other) Jon (Spooner) talk about:
• what particle physics even is
• why it is worth dedicating your life to physics
• Jon B’s 5 billion year old wedding ring
• what CERN, the Large Hadron Collider and the ATLAS experiment are
• what the Higgs Boson is
• what the most exciting words in science are
• what the High Luminosity Upgrade is
• what is dark energy and dark matter
• if you’re 10 now (or looking for a career change) how do you go about being part of finding out what dark matter is?
… and Jon answers questions on:
• what his favourite particle is
• are there any other universes?
• do you ever work with artists to come up with your weird ideas?
Full transcript here